Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Italy - Part I

We are spending the week at a villa in Sardinia, Italy with my family and our good family friends.  Our journey to Europe started Friday afternoon.  The first few hours were rather stressful.  When we showed up at the airport to check-in, the agent looked at me and asked, "where is Will's paper ticket?"  HUH?? I spent an hour on the phone back in March adding Will to my ticket and paying his fare.  At no point during the conversation did she mention that I needed a paper ticket for Will to go with my electronic ticket, so I never looked for a ticket in the mail.  I am about to lose it as the agent keeps repeating "He needs a paper ticket" and I am like "I don't have a paper ticket."  Thankfully another agent came over and said I didn't get a paper ticket for Will because my credit card hadn't gone through before.  So I paid for the paper ticket and they printed everything out  for our whole trip at the counter. 

The journey continued as we headed to security and I had to have additional screening so I could carry on baby-food.  Our flight out was delayed 1.5 hours so we were crossing our fingers that we would make our connection in Atlanta.  After switching to another flight, we landed in Atlanta at 4:45 for our 5:30 flight to London.  Of course as we taxied to gate we stopped twice.  Finally a few minutes after 5 we arrived at Gate D41 which is at the complete end of the D terminal.  I had been in contact with my family who were already in Atlanta so I knew our flight was taking off from T5, four terminals away.  I also knew that the flight was already boarding. I was super stressed that we were not going to make the flight.  To add to the stress, Will started crying once the plane landed and didn't stop until we got off.  We knew he was hungry, but we didn't have time to make a bottle and feed him. Once the plane parked, Will and I headed to T terminal while John waited for our pink tagged bag and stroller.

When I arrived at the gate, everyone had boarded the plane except my parents.  Thankfully, the gate agent held the plane until John arrived with our baggage.  Will was fabulous on the 8 hour and 23 minute trans-Atlantic flight.  He slept in my mom's lap for most of the flight.  Once we arrived in London we had a long uneventful layover at the airport- except for the fact that Will and I both got patted down during security and I had a to drink a sip of formula (GROSS) in order to take his bottle through.  Will slept for half of the flight to Sardinia and was happy for the second half.  

We arrived at the villa Saturday evening (Italy time).  Will slept from 9 pm to noon the next day.  Sunday night he slept from 9 pm to 10 am and then 8 pm to 8:45 am last night.  We are having a great time.  I will post more pictures soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment