Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Cooking

As most of you know, John does 95% of the cooking around here.  John plans our weekly menu and then cooks dinner 6 nights a week.  He is great cook so I have no desire to take over this responsibility.  Since I quit working, however, I have started cooking and baking a little.  Occasionally John will have to travel for work and won't be able to cook dinner.  Now that Will eats almost everything we do, just getting fast food isn't a good choice when John is away.  The MOMS Club I joined also has brunches/lunches at least once a month where I need to bring something.  While I sometimes stick with something easy, like muffins from a box I have tried some new recipes.  Almost everything I cook comes from a recipe I found on the internet somewhere so I thought I would share a few of the things I've made this summer.  Enjoy!

  • Caprese Salad- I've made this for years, but recently I made a balsamic reduction  and it took the dish to the next level! 
  • Macaroni and Cheese - This was really good!  I am trying to find a few good "kid friendly" dishes I can make when John isn't cooking. 
  • Pasta al Pomodoro- I made this last night.  Will and I both liked it.  John probably wouldn't like it due to the onions.
  • Kitchen Sink Cookies- I made these cookies a couple of times, once for a MOMS club lunch and once for some new neighbors.  I hate raisins so I didn't include those.  I used chocolate chips, M&M pretzels, and white chocolate chips.
  • Soft Frosted Sugar Cookies- I also made these for new neighbors.  Very yummy!
  • Oreo Cream Cheese Brownies - Oreos, cream cheese, chocolate?  Obviously these were delicious.
  • I also made a blueberry coffee cake.  The coffee cake tasted a lot like blueberry muffins.  I got this recipe from my sister.

Blueberry Kuchen

1 1/2 c. flour
3/4 c. sugar
2 t. baking powder
1 1/2 t. grated lemon peel (spices section)
1/2 t. ground nutmeg
1/4 t. salt
2/3 c. milk
1/4 c. butter or margarine, melted
1 egg, beaten
1 t. vanilla
2 c. fresh or frozen blueberries
Topping:

3/4 c. sugar
1/2 c. flour
1/4 c. butter or margarine, melted

In a mixing bowl, combine the first 6 ingredients.  Add the milk, butter, egg and vanilla.  Beat for 2 mins. or until well blended.  Pour into a greased 13x9 pan.  Sprinkle with blueberries.  In a bowl, combine sugar and flour; add butter.  Toss with a fork until crumbly; sprinkle over blueberries.  Bake at 350 for 40 mins. or until lightly browned..

No comments:

Post a Comment