Sunday, July 18, 2010

I Am Become Death, Destroyer of Worlds

The glider (read: overly-fancy rocking chair) is set up. I defeat dowel rods for two consecutive challenges. What Sarabeth declined to mention in her post, however, is that as the room was then composed, the glider would not have fit.

The reason the glider would not have fit is that we ("we") have filled it with a great deal of furniture. The crib, you've seen. The dresser has been referred to previously. The twin bed, the nightstand, and the two lamps... were also present. The glider, I suppose, could have been placed in the center of the room. If one didn't care about the ability to walk to the crib. The parenting books I've consulted seem to suggest that access to the child is important, so destruction commenced.

Goodbye, mattress and box spring. So long, bed frame in which I grew up. See you in hell, shoddily-constructed nightstand. (Seriously, I think I created that thing as a fifth-grade scouting project.)

There's a temptation to see the entire project as symbolic - taking apart the furniture of my childhood and all. Really, though, it's nothing more complicated than Sarabeth creating work for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment